Vegan vanilla ice cream is easy healthy coconut ice cream recipe made with coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Author: ifoodreal.com
- Prep Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 12 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 x 14 oz cans coconut milk, full fat (I recommend Thai Kitchen)*
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or raw honey**
- 2 vanilla beans or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Place bowl of an ice cream maker in a freezer the night before. It is and important step!
- Also the night before, in a blender or food processor, add coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract. If using vanilla beans, lay them on a cutting board, cut in the middle lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a paring knife. Add to the blender and process until well combined. Place mixture in a fridge to chill overnight. This is important step otherwise your ice cream won’t crystallize, especially if it is hot outside.
- The next day, pour ice cream mixture into frozen ice cream bowl, place lid on top and turn it on to start churning. Depending on your ice cream machine it may take 20-60 minutes to bring ice cream to a soft serve consistency. It won’t fully freeze.
- Transfer soft serve ice cream into any container with a lid and freeze for another hour or so. To serve, let thaw for 5-10 minutes.
Store: Freeze in a glass airtight container for up to a few months.
*I highly recommend to use Thai Kitchen, Compliments or Trader Joe’s full fat coconut milk as it produces creamy and smooth ice cream thanks to a guar gum. It is available organic and regular. I have tried other brands with less favourable results. Coconut cream from Trader Joe’s is good too. **I prefer maple syrup for making ice cream and haven’t tried this vanilla ice cream with honey. It will work but taste will depend on the type of honey you use. Light colour honey is usually mild tasting vs. dark with more prominent honey taste.